.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Reply: AEDs

Ferfal,
 
Thanks for your post on the privately owned AED. I do have an AED for the very reasons you mentioned. In fact, I have the very model you posted the link for from Amazon
I bought mine about three years ago for $1300 so the price has come down a bit. 
You might like to know that some states here in the U.S. require a "prescription" from a medical doctor in order to buy an AED. The great state of Texas does not so I did not need one. I cannot imagine a doctor denying such a request but it is another hoop to jump through. The American Red Cross offers a combined CPR/AED course which is well worth attending. You do not want to try to learn how to use the AED when someone is having a heart attack! Also, the wife and I take ours when we are away from the house for overnight road trips.
 
Best regards from Texas      
K-

Hello K,
That’s very interesting, I didn’t know that. Texas is a great State.
It just makes a lot of sense to have a machine that can save your life when facing the #1 cause of death, yet very few people have it and the cost is high but not really that high compared to a high-end gun or a couple regular ones.
At a certain age or specific health conditions it makes  a lot of sense to have one.


 Philips HeartStart Home Defibrillator (AED)
 It makes a lot of sense to take the CPR/AED course so as to know how to use it during an emergency. 
FerFAL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have these at my work. We are told that we don't really need training - anyone is allowed to use them. At least with the models we have, when you open them, they talk to you and tell you what to do. I don't know how many have that feature.